Spinach and basil pesto
- 1 bag (227 g) Florette freshly washed spinach
- 500 ml (2 cups) fresh basil leaves
- 125 mL (1/2 cup) whole blanched almonds (optional)
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1/2 to 1 lemon juice
- 188 mL (3/4 cup) grated Parmesan cheese
- 2.5 ml (1/2 teaspoon) of salt
- To taste, black pepper from the mill
- 188 mL (3/4 cup) olive oil
- In a food processor, blend all ingredients together without the olive oil. Process for 30-45 seconds to thoroughly mix all ingredients.
- While the food processor is running, stir in the oil until the pesto is smooth and creamy.
- If necessary, adjust the seasoning to your taste.
– Spinach and basil pesto is wonderful on pizzas and sandwiches, to enhance poultry, fish and grilled meats, to accompany pasta or to spread crackers.
– Spinach and basil pesto can be stored for two weeks in the fridge and can be kept in the freezer for approximately one year.
Recipe developed in partnership with nutritionist Julie DesGroseillers