Russian Beef and Red Beet Soup
600g (1.2 lb) of beef braising cubes
45 ml (3 tbsp.) of vegetable oil
2 crushed garlic cloves
1 sprig of thyme
3 bay leaves
1 L (4 cups) of homemade or store-bought beef broth
30 ml (2 tbsp.) of butter
1 onion diced
1 large peeled carrot, sliced
1 small turnip, diced
1 stalk of celery, minced
1 medium potato diced
500 ml (2 cups) of shredded green cabbage
10 ml (2 tsp) of paprika
15 ml (1 tbsp.) of tomato paste
125 ml (1/2 cup) of pearl barley
1 liter (4 cups) of water
Salt and pepper to taste
1 pack (397 g) of Florette diced red beets
60 ml (¼ cup) of sour cream
1 dill pickle, diced
60 ml (1/4 cup) of pickle brine
Fresh dill, to taste
- In a pot over medium-high heat, heat the oil and sear the beef cubes on each side.
- Add the cloves, garlic, thyme and bay leaf then pour in the broth, season and simmer gently, covered, for about 1 hour and 15 minutes. When the beef is cooked, remove the pieces to a plate and strain the broth. Reserve the beef and broth.
- In a large pot over medium heat, add the butter and sweat the onion, carrot, turnip, celery, potatoes and cabbage for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add tomato paste, paprika and barley.
- Pour in the broth and water then add the beef. Simmer gently for 30 minutes covered. Adjust the seasoning.
- Serve the soup garnished with beetroot, pickles and sour cream, then top with 2 tsp (10 ml) of brine from the pickles and dill sprigs.